Cause and Effect Christianity
There is a point in the Christian life when we must move beyond "cause and effect Christianity." In other words, we must move beyond doing things in order to get something in return. "If I give _______ will I get _______ ?" "If I do this... what will God do?" "Does God _______ if I _________?"
"Self" is the root of this type Christianity, but it has manifested in one big way: consumerism. Picture yourself shopping for anything from a house to a vacuum. You approach is like a good consumer, focused on what's best for you. You want the best features, that takes the least amount of work, for the best price. Businesses cater to consumers and bend over backwards to meat the consumer's criteria. Consumers don't like to be pushed into anything and like knowing they have options. Now, apply the consumer mentality to your relationship with God -- and you have cause and effect Christianity.
Biblical Christianity teaches that God wants you to be consumed by Him, not a consumer of Him.
Even obedience can be a form of cause and effect Christianity. "If I obey Him, He will ______ and I will feel _______." We're still doing something in order to get a result. My kids are in this stage right now. Most of the time their motivation for obedience is the discipline that follows if they don't. Some day, I want them to do the right thing because they want to, not because I want them to. God's the same way.
Watchman Nee describes it as the difference between having a "submissive will" and a "harmonious will." A submissive will obeys out of obligation but a harmonious will delights in doing the will of the Father. Submission to God is good, but as we deny "self" and live by God's Spirit, He grows and matures us to a place where we love to do what He wants us to do, no matter the "effect" it has on us.
"Self" is the root of this type Christianity, but it has manifested in one big way: consumerism. Picture yourself shopping for anything from a house to a vacuum. You approach is like a good consumer, focused on what's best for you. You want the best features, that takes the least amount of work, for the best price. Businesses cater to consumers and bend over backwards to meat the consumer's criteria. Consumers don't like to be pushed into anything and like knowing they have options. Now, apply the consumer mentality to your relationship with God -- and you have cause and effect Christianity.
Biblical Christianity teaches that God wants you to be consumed by Him, not a consumer of Him.
Even obedience can be a form of cause and effect Christianity. "If I obey Him, He will ______ and I will feel _______." We're still doing something in order to get a result. My kids are in this stage right now. Most of the time their motivation for obedience is the discipline that follows if they don't. Some day, I want them to do the right thing because they want to, not because I want them to. God's the same way.
Watchman Nee describes it as the difference between having a "submissive will" and a "harmonious will." A submissive will obeys out of obligation but a harmonious will delights in doing the will of the Father. Submission to God is good, but as we deny "self" and live by God's Spirit, He grows and matures us to a place where we love to do what He wants us to do, no matter the "effect" it has on us.


3 Comments:
Yesterday I would tell someone God expects us to be submissive. I now see a harmonious will is a better way to explain our response to God. Good thought!
I see this mentality in my students. If I get out the candy bucket and ask them review questions, they are all on task because they see what is in it for them (not a good review session or learning, but merely candy.) The same with the reverse. If I set out disciplinarians on my desk (which is the worst they can get), they return to being on task and following instructions, not because they know this is right, but because they fear the penalty. How true for us in our walk with God. Not only do we fear the penalties and therefore "obey", we want the candy and act "appropriately" so God will toss a dum-dum our way!
Great reminder of why I should truly be obedient.
Spot on bro. Thanks for the food.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home