Monday, March 03, 2008

Oh, to lead like Paul!

1 Cor. 11:1, "Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ."

To call Paul passive, would be an absurdity! He was anything but passive. He was zealous! I'm sure that got him in trouble from time to time. Often our greatest strength is also our greatest weakness. Some might describe this as a "Ready. FIRE! Aim." syndrom. Do you know people like this?

I have never struggled with being overzealous. The grass always seems greener and I have desired that...but I'm on the other end of the zealous spectrum. I would accuse myself of being too passive at times. More like "Ready...steady...aim...aim again...once more...and...what are we shooting at again and why...can we talk about this some more?" syndrome.

This past weekend we studied Acts 20-22 where Paul was compelled or "bound" by the Spirit to go to Jerusalem, despite friends and prophets encouraging him not to. When he was there he literally bound and because of this he had an opportunity to preach Jesus to an angry mob.

It struck me that, in the past I wanted to be zealous, but now I want to be led by the Spirit. It's not about having Paul's personality, or anyone else's. It's about surrendering to the Spirit's leading despite my personality! If He wants me to be bold, I'll be bold. If He wants me to be quite, I'll be quiet. Paul was a true Spiritual leader! Leading others by being led by God's Spirit.

Four years ago, I would have said it was impossible for me to make the statement that Paul makes in 1 Cor. 11:1. But, not only do I believe it's possible, but that it's a priority of God's Spirit that you and I grow to a place where we can look another peer in the eye and say, "Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ."

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quite often I have seen other people full of energy able to easily relate to virtually anybody. I've wished I had that kind of energy and personality. Reading this makes me realize it's just not MY gift. I have my own to offer. Thanks man...

10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home